Drinking water helps your well being but, there is no hard and fast rule to how much water we should drink everyday, as everyone’s body is different.
Five Reasons why its healthy to drink water!
- Drinking Water Helps Maintain the Balance of Body Fluids. The functions of these bodily fluids include digestion, absorption, circulation, creation of saliva, transportation of nutrients, and maintenance of body temperature.
- Water Can Help Control Calories. For years, dieters have been drinking lots of water as a weight loss strategy. While water doesn’t have any magical effect on weight loss, substituting it for higher calorie beverages can certainly help.
- Water Helps Energize Muscles. Cells that don’t maintain their balance of fluids and electrolytes shrivel, which can result in muscle fatigue.
- Water Helps Keep Skin Looking Good. Your skin contains plenty of water, and functions as a protective barrier to prevent excess fluid loss.
- Water Helps Your Kidneys. Body fluids transport waste products in and out of cells. Your kidneys do an amazing job of cleansing and ridding your body of toxins as long as your intake of fluids is adequate.
In the UK, the Department of Health recommends we drink around 1 – 2 litres of fluid daily (the equivalent of eight 150 ml glasses).
If we are undertaking physical exercise however this amount can go up dramatically as our bodies lose fluids and become dehydrated more quickly.
If you would like to learn more about the benefits of drinking water to help your well being, please read the Association of UK Dietitians –Food Fact sheet here